Vegetarian Sausage Roll
Makes: 16 rolls
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 300g tempeh
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, lightly toasted
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage (fresh)
- ⅓ cup walnuts, lightly toasted.
- ¼ cup bread crumbs (see note)
- 2 sheets spelt puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 180C fan-forced (200c non-fan). Line two baking trays with baking paper. Unroll the pastry and cut into 4 equal rectangles, place these in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- Steam tempeh for 20 minutes in a steamer basket over simmering water. Cool to room temperature, then break into chunks.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a frypan over medium heat, add leek, carrot, and a good pinch of salt. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- To the bowl of a large food processor, add tempeh, leek and carrot mixture, garlic, water, remaining olive oil, tamari, thyme, paprika, fennel seeds, pepper, sage, walnuts, and bread crumbs. Pulse a couple of times, just until it forms together into a mince-like mixture.
- Remove pastry from the fridge (if a hot day works with one piece at a time). Place filling down the center of each pastry rectangle, brush long side of pastry with beaten egg, roll the pastry over the filling allowing at least a 2cm overlap, gently push down to seal. Pop in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting. Repeat with remaining pastry. Once the pastry is firm remove from the freezer and cut each log into 8 small sausage rolls, place on baking trays, and cut two small incisions into each roll to prevent splitting. Use a remaining beaten egg to brush the tops of the sausage rolls and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
To Freeze: Prepare up until Step 5. and store uncooked sausage rolls in an airtight container with baking paper between layers. Bake from frozen and add an additional 5 minutes to cooking time.
Gluten Free: Use GF puff pastry and 3 tablespoons GF flour mix instead of breadcrumbs (or GF breadcrumbs).