Nomato Pasta Sauce
Serves: 4 cups
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 carrots (300g), diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 cup (150g) diced pumpkin (skin/seeds removed)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small beetroot (60g), peeled and grated
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (optional, see note)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, when hot add onion, carrot, celery and pumpkin. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and beetroot and cook for a further minute. Add herbs, salt and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 25-30 minutes, until carrots and pumpkin are nice and soft. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Blend the vegetables and optional vinegar in a high speed blender until smooth. Taste and season with more salt, if needed.
- Use as an alternative to pizza and pasta sauce. Use fresh and store leftovers in smaller portions in the freezer.
While most vinegar is avoided on a low histamine diet, small amounts of white distilled vinegar and pasteurized apple cider vinegar are tolerated by most people.