A lot of mums I talk to don’t bother cooking much fish because at least one person in the family doesn’t like it which is a real shame because fish provides the family with a bucket load of nutrition. These healthy fish tacos are a great way to encourage everyone in the family to eat more fish.
Fish is a fantastic source of protein, great for growing bodies and for keeping us fuller for longer. Fish is the best source of omega 3 fats available to us which is important for our brain and nervous system growth and function. Fish is also rich in the minerals iodine, selenium and zinc, all important for thyroid function and our children’s general health.
So don’t give up on fish. Try serving it to your family in different ways, be creative.
These healthy fish tacos are a winner with my family. You can use any fish you like really so go for whatever looks good at your local fish market.
- 3-4 white fish or salmon fillets, cubed (snapper or ling work well)
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- coconut oil for cooking
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 2 T dill, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 apricots, chopped (use sulphur free dried apricots if fresh apricots are not in season)
- 1/2 t cumin
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup thick natural yoghurt
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 T dill
- Cos lettuce to serve
- Marinade the fish in the dill and lemon for 5-10 minutes. Then pan fry the fish in coconut oil for a couple of minutes until cooked.
- Mix together all salsa ingredients in a bowl and yoghurt ingredients in another bowl.
- Assemble ‘tacos’ in cos lettuce leaves, salmon, salsa, top with yoghurt wrap and enjoy.