This week I’m joined by our Natural Super Kids Clinical Nutritionist Mel to chat all things infantile colic. Colic is a common condition we see in clinic that affects 1 in 5 babies. It is still quite poorly understood and occurs irrespective of breastfeeding or formula feeding in infants up to 5 months of age.
In this episode Mel shares with us:
- How to know if you have a baby with colic including the most common symptoms;
- Causes of colic including maternal diet, breastfeeding red flags, and imbalances of gut bacteria;
- Why it’s important to seek medical advice for colic, and to rule out other gastrointestinal conditions;
- How to treat colic in infants through maternal dietary or formula changes;
- The specific supplements you want to ensure your baby is having;
- The benefits of probiotics including two specific strains that have shown to decrease crying time by 50%, and improve sleep patterns;
- Plus the importance of supporting the caregivers during this period, and tips on how to support your mental health if you have a colicky baby.
- If you would like personalised assistance in treating colic, you can book a consultation with our infant nutritionist Mel here.
- Check out our blog post – Is your baby experiencing infantile colic?
- Episode 80: Meet our Nutritionist Mel Kirkwood