Chickpea Banana Bread
This gluten-free, dairy-free banana bread uses chickpea flour, a high fibre, high protein flour. Most banana breads contain refined flours that are stripped of nutrients and are low in fibre. Increasing the protein and fibre content helps stabilise blood sugar levels, supports gut health and provides a nutrient-rich treat alternative or snack. Chickpeas have a naturally earthy flavour which pairs well with banana, olive oil and chocolate.
- 4 medium overripe bananas
- ¾ cup (150g) rapadura or coconut sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (100g) chickpea (besan) flour
- ¾ cup (105) fine brown rice flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C, 350 degrees F. Line a large loaf pan with baking paper, letting some hang over the sides for easy removal.
- In a large bowl, mash 3 of the bananas until almost pureed. Add the sugar, olive oil, eggs, vanilla and vinegar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, brown rice flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Fold through the chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Cut the remaining banana in half lengthwise and plate on top of the batter. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until firm to touch and golden brown. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then lift onto a wire rack to completely cool.